Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Holy Grail, Epping N.H.






On a quest for great food? Try The Holy Grail food & spirits that just opened at 64 Main St. in Epping, N.H. I hit this British/American fared restaurant yesterday and loved it! The owners, David and Maureen Kennedy purchased and renovated the old St. Josephs Church (built in 1895) into this fabulous soon to be "hot" dining spot. There is a large bar/pub area right when you walk into the main dining area with 20 beers on draft, 20 bottled to choose from and 2 casks as well as a full liquor selections. There is a seating area in the back of the first floor has great views of the stained glass windows and there is more dining in the "Choir Loft" that over looks the pub below. This is the second restaurant I have been to on the Seacoast that is in a converted church and I love the concept. For started, I went with the Black & Tan Onion Rings ($8.95) which are indeed battered with Guinness and good to the last ring! For my entree, I went with the Irish classic of Corned Beef and Cabbage ($12.95). You are served a heaping pile of corned beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes and carrots. The corned beef was lean and delicious. I opted for regular mustard, but they do serve the meal with Colman's mustard on the side. My dining partner let me try their Shepherd's pie ($10.95) which is another classic Irish dish of ground beef in gravy with seasonings and mashed potatoes on top (some places make it with corn too, but not here) and it was served with a side of green beans. The seasonings with the ground beef and gravy is what really makes this dish taste great. You get a great portion size too for a great great price. The entrees were served with grilled buns and I enjoyed a 20 oz glass of draft English Cider ($5.25) which went great with my meal. Our waitress, Kaitlyn, was very prompt and very friendly. Other menu items include, Guinness Marinated Sirloin Tip, House Made Irish Bangers, Scotch Eggs and Wilshire Cured Ribs to name a few. Can't decide on which draft beer to have? Ask your server for a sample or two to try first! Dining here feels like you have been taken across the Atlantic and you are actually eating in a small Irish Village restaurant. Well Done Kennedys! I look forward to my next visit with you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went and checked this place out and LOVED IT!! It was nice to find a new place that has good food and a great atmosphere!
Thanks! Keep up the great blogging!

Anonymous said...

I went to the Holy Grail and was able to try their onion rings! My friend and I couldn't stop eating them! They were so good! I really liked them with the BBQ sauce too instead of ketchup!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your establishment. I live in Exeter Rhode Island and was visiting my daughter Stephanie and her husband Ryan and my granddaughter Caroline. They live in Fremont. I must admit, if I lived closer ,I would be frequenting your restaurant more often. Bob and Sue M.

Anonymous said...

I checked it out on September 13, 2011. I ordered the pot roast with potato pancakes, sounded great. I got Tater Tots with dry beef in bouillon . I went home and had left overs. It's a beer and burger joint.

Mike in Chester