Thursday, July 24, 2008

Agave Mexican Bistro, Portsmouth, NH

I was suspicious of this restaurant going in since I think the last thing that Portsmouth needed downtown was yet ANOTHER Mexican restaurant (never mind the fact that they went in right next to good old DOS AMIGOS). I have visited the new location of Agave (for those of you that didn't know, it has an original location in Newburyport, MA) on two occasions since it opened its doors and I don't see myself returning. The skinny on this place is that it is an overpriced, gussied up Mexican restaurant. I find the menu boring and the drinks expensive. I was disappointed in the gazpacho which was over pureed and under flavored and the super quick service of the meals for my table left me wondering just how fresh could the entrees really be if they are being sent out of the kitchen that fast. It will take a while I think for the newness to wear off, but I don't see the longevity of an upscale Mexican bistro like Agave for Portsmouth. In such a small, hip town , foodies want new places to come in and "wow us". Give us something new, exciting, fresh. Give us something to really sink our teeth into! The only upside I find with Agave is that my friend Max who bartends there can make you a mean margarita. If it is Mexican flavor you are seeking, try Poco's Bow Street Cantina down the street. I heart their empanadas appetizer and their Peanut-Ginger Chicken and Shrimp Saute, both priced right and full of flavor. If you are south of town, check out Las Olas in Exeter for a one big, tasty burrito.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously this person has interest in the other restaurants. Agave Mexican Bistro Dos is a true authentic Mexican fare. The food is creative and distinct. I would strongly suggest trying it before being pesuade by this review. If you like tequila.... this is the place to go. Over 6o topshelf tequilas!!!! Great atmosphere, wonderful food and great drinks!

Anonymous said...

I too was skeptical about the lightning fast service. NIcely presented food, okay service. Enough salt to cure every ham in Virginia!! Ease up buddy!!
I would rather have tasted the food to see if was worth a damn.

Anonymous said...

I happen to agree with Nicci G about Agave. The ambiance is great, but I wasn't impressed with the menu. Let's say I could have had a better burrito next door at Dos Amigos, for less money too.
The other thing that annoyed me and my companions was, towards the end of our dinner(hadn't finished our meals yet), the chef kept circling the table and finally asked us how long we were going to stay because they had reserved that table for other people.
It's an ok place to have a margarita at, but that's about it.

Anonymous said...

I kind of feel like it had some decent flavors, but truly was not that good, not for the money anyway.. the chips are good, the margaritas, not so... depending upon if you guide our bartender on how exactly you like it.. If you have some extra cash it is worth the try for a nice date, but I would probably spend my portsmouth money on the green monkey or radici if you wanted the ambiance.. if you want mexican go across the river to loco cocos.. they have some good food. I just dont' get paying that kind of money for mexican... sorry..