Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wild Willy's Burgers York, ME







Although the burgers here are really good, I don't recommend you visiting the original location of Wild Willy's in York, Maine. The burger toppings are not fresh, the salsa on their "La Bamba" burger tasted like a cheap store bought kind, the ranch dressing on the "Santa Fe" could stand improvement and the cost of their Frontier draft root beer by the cup is a rip off. The other locations in Mass and NH are franchised out, so they might have something better to offer. The staff (including the founders son who managers this location) are NOT friendly at all and I don't think in the entire 2+ hours we were there did I see a smile come across any of their faces. It's too bad, the concept is great, but if you don't have that all important ingredient of a friendly, outgoing staff, you just aren't going to be as good as you could be. The summer brings tons of tourists into this location and my guess is they do a killer business especially since it is CASH ONLY. It's seasonal and shuts down right around when then snow really starts to fly. The small location has a fun atmosphere, but when it is busy, you are pushed and pulled while you wait for your meal and it just isn't comfortable. They keep the menu simple with burgers and fresh cut fries as their top sellers. I wish it was better, but it isn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree; Wild Willy's in York has a tad of charm, but is way too small to ensure an enjoyable meal. Check out the Wild Willy's in Watertown, MA! The staff is friendly, the facilities are clean, and their burgers actually look as though they're supposed to. There's A LOT more seating available at the Watertown, MA location as well, which allows for a much more enjoyable feasting environment.

Anonymous said...

Since the opening of their first shop in York in 2001, the burgers have gotten significantly smaller, significantly greasier. They are expensive burgers, and no longer worth the price. Though I live with my seven children only a mile away, I will not return. My stomach was upset for 24 hours after ingesting the last Wild Willy’s burger I will ever eat.

For $58.00, I purchased one plain burger, two plain cheeseburgers, and three “Wicked Good” burgers, as well as two large orders of fries.

Their punchcards are contradictory and misleading, if not downright underhanded. In large letters at the top of the card, it says, “BUY 6 BURGERS, GET ONE FREE.” Underneath, in much smaller print, it says, among several other rules, " Blah blah blah. . . one punch per visit . . . yadda yadda yadda"

So, I suppose, to earn a free burger I ought to have had each one of my children order a burger separately, and pay separately?

I pointed out that what the card OUGHT to say was something along the lines of, “6 Burgers in 6 Visits—Get One Free.” I told the well-dressed, attractive older woman who rang me out that the card contradicted itself. I told her they should re-print their cards to accurately reflect their frequent-flier program. She was in complete denial of the contradictory wording, and her attitude became quite unprofessional, to put it politely. After visiting their Web site and seeing her picture, I was able to identify her as the owner’s wife.

Note that everything is a la carte. Burgers are up to $9.75, then add on the cost of fries or onion rings, a drink, etc.