Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hagan's Grill- Hampton, NH




6 HIGH ST, HAMPTON, NH


(603) 926-5668




Located in the heart of downtown Hampton is a gem of a restaurant. Hagan's Grill originally opened in the summer of 2005 and was purchased by Bob and Dora Hand in Spring of 2006. The seating is limited so if you plan on visiting, I highly recommend you call ahead and make a reservation or hope to score a seat at the bar while you wait for a table. Known for its eclectic American/Asian cuisine, Hagan's Grill is a favorite of the locals and the summer beach bums. The ingredients are fresh and meal ideas simple. You will find some great nightly specials ranging from pasta to fish to a pizza made on their own wood grill. I kicked off my dinner with a Key Lime Martini ($9) and for an appetizer, I tried the pita nachos ($10) which are a nice change of pace and very flavorful. For dinner I had a penne pasta special ($16) that had ground pork in a tomato leek cream sauce with a blend of cheese that was excellent! I switched half way through with one of my dinning partners who was having the famous Fish Burrito ($15). The executive chef, Kurt Holzweiss has been cooking things up in the kitchen for the past 2 1/2 years and has grown quite a following with the locals. I hear they have a local following for the baked mac and cheese ($9) which I plan on trying at my next visit. The atmosphere is contemporary in design, but the dress and vibe are casual and fun. It can get noisy in there, which is a clear sign of a good restaurant where people go and enjoy themselves. I was happy to see the addition of lighter fare options (which I don't recall seeing over the winter). My only gripe with my most recent dining experience at Hagan's Grill would be the service wasn't as good as I would expect it to be. I was seated at a high table in the bar area and at first the bartender who was our server was fine, but as soon as the bar got busy, we were ignored and ended up having to hunt her down to pay the bill and to get a box for the leftovers. Guess you can't win them all. I still say if you haven't checked this little hot spot out, the food is definitely worth a visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hagan's Grill has just changed chefs as of 4/09 and I don't think it's likely it will survive. The prior menu was pricey but the food was really good. Under the new chef, the menu is boring and the food so-so but still pricey and the portions are smaller. I liked the prior chef's food alot, but don't really see a reason to spend $100 a couple on what is being offered now.

Dr Young said...

I have been going to Hagan's Grill for now almost...I would say 3 years and have enjoyed their food tremendously. However, I think now they got it! the food has been consistent in every way, priced appropriately for today's economy and the options are just right. I have meetings and other catering functions periodically, Hagan's has always find a way to accommodate us and to design a menu according to our needs...something to say about very few establishments in this business and that is why we enjoy coming back. The customer service is like no other EXCELLENT in every way. I have witness and experienced how the servers as well as the chefs know the customers needs and preference in beverage,food etc. This is like no other! As you can see this is my favorite place to visit and to bring my colleagues and family when I'm entertaining. Hagan's has a very inviting and relax atmosphere and they seem to be very conscientious and aware of the customers needs. The food, service and atmosphere are EXCELLENT!

I give Hagan's Grill a thumbs up! I wish them great success!